The Break Up



Let's break up...

Those three words rang in her mind over and over. She's been through this, it's been three years already, why does it still hurt? Is it because he's back? Why did he have to come back now? What does he want?

••August 12, 2018••

Phone rings.

She sleepily pulled out her phone from her handbag trying to recall what led to her dozing off in the park. She's had a stressful week, studying for her final exams, and today it's over. she can't wait to go home and tell him everything. The last bus just left the park so she sat down waiting for the next one to return and load, she dozed off in the process. 

Phone rings again.

"Hello swe.." she said, but before she could finish, she heard the most piercing words she never thought she'll ever hear. 

"Let's break up".

"Why"? she asked, confused.

"Listen__" he paused and sighed.

"I've thought about this___" he paused again. 

"I need you to move on with your life, dad's still in coma for 3months now, and I'm not going to leave his side till he wakes up, as it is right now, he's not waking up anytime soon and I don't want you to continue to wait for me, I may never return, so, let's end it here and now, I..."

"Will you stop it already? We've been through this, I'm staying with you till he wakes up, I finished my exams today so there's nothing holding me back anymore, I'm coming over to stay there with you till he reco.."

"Did you not hear me!?" He screamed "Move on! Don't come over, I don't need your pity! Stay away!".

Hearing him say that to her felt like she was stabbed with 9 knives and by jove that hurt.

"You obviously ain't thinking straight, I feel your pain sweetie, I'm here for you, first thing in the morning I'll be on my way to you..."

"Sarah, I'm serious, let me be".

Call Ends.

She called back, hoping by God that he was pulling a big stunt on her but, it didn't connect. 

Next morning his number didn't connect, the next day, same thing, the day after, the day after, the next week, the next month. She lost it. She lost herself, she couldn't quite grasp it, he was gone, and with him was a huge part of her she did so well to protect over the years. He took her heart with him and she doubt if she could ever get it back.

••February 14, 2019••

I Can't believe Debbie forgot to leave Dan's butt wipe, how am I supposed to do this baby sitting thing? She thought.

Her friend Debbie had a job interview and her husband had gone on a business trip out of the country so Debbie pleaded with her to come babysit her kids while she goes for the interview. Being besties for 12years and counting, she can't say No to Debbie so she left her state of residence to go babysit for Debbie in another state. 

"Hey, Mira" she called.

"Yes, aunty?"

"Stay with your baby brother, I need to rush to the supermarket to buy his toiletries, your mom forgot to leave them behind for me, I'll be back soon, if he cries, sing him a song okay?

"Okay, aunty, buy me candy too, please?

"Yea, I will"

                                      ****

The supermarket is busier today than other days, majority of the staff and customers are on red and black, is there some dress code agreement that I'm not aware of? She thought to herself as she qued up to wait for her items to be checked.

"I wasn't sure you'lld like the wrist watch I bought, but I'm soo glad you do. Happy Valentine's Day my love, I feel soo honored to have you in my life"

...Now wait a minute, she thought, that voice sounds familiar. She looked up in time and saw him. Her heart fluttered and pounded 10 times faster. 

...But that can't be him, can it? He's supposed to be taking care of his dad at the hospital, did his dad recover already? These are the questions that ran through her mind.

Then she saw her. The lady he was professing his love to. It didn't make sense to her. 

No. It can't be him. He doesn't even live in this State. He's in Abuja, surely, this isn't him. But she has to be sure, she's going to take a closer look.

She paid for her items and immediately moved to the direction of the couple, all the while trying to convince herself that she was mistaken___

"Oh my God I'm soo sorry, I was a bit absent minded".

"It's okay, watch where you're going so you don't go bumping into people".

"Thank you. Actually, excuse me"

"Yes?"

"Your friend looked soo familiar, I wanted to know if he is whom I thought, please, what's his name?"

"Oh, you mean Michael? He's not my friend, he's my boyfriend"

"His name is Michael?" She asked, shocked at the revelation

"Yes"

"And he's your boyfriend?"

"Yes, actually, we've been together for about 9 months now. I'm sure he's not whom you thought"

"Yes. Don't be offended, what's his surname, please? And do you know who his father is?

"David. Michael David. I've never met his dad, he didn't grow up with his dad, his dad has been abroad almost all his life".

She can't hold it in anymore. She has to leave this place now.

"Thank you, dear, he isn't whom I think he is. I have to go, bye".

She ran as fast as her legs could, got home and retched soo hard. Cried her eyes out, Debbie returned, she told Debbie everything and cried some more. The shock was too much. Michael lied about his dad's health while cheating on her, then broke up with her 3months later to concentrate on his new girlfriend. His dad lives in Abuja, or so he told her, he said his dad got into an accident that fractured his brain and he's traveling to Abuja to be with him till he recovers. Six months later, she saw him, she saw him with the chick he left her for. It all made sense now. It shook her to the marrow. He didn't have to bâlls to breakup with her with his full chest, he had to formulate a lie and when she didn't leave him despite the pressure, she was being there for him in his time of need not knowing he was cheating on her. he broke up over the phone. 

••October 20, 2021••

Let's Break Up...

Those three words rang in her mind over and over. She's been through this, it's been three years already, why does it still hurt? Is it because he's back? Why did he have to come back now? What does he want?

"Sarah, can I talk to you?" He asked


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us at https://follow.it/sharpaphrodite?action=followPub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bayley WWE

The Beast Unleashes on Adam Pearce!